Please pray for me and my brother priests!

Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Little Shakespeare For Christmas

I stumbled across this sonnet today, Shakespeare's 29th, and if I have any readers at all left, thought I would offer it for reflection.    

To paraphrase the scriptures, we are children of God, and if children, then heirs.  To often in our misery we fail to remember this simple, most basic truth of our faith.  From ignoble beginnings rose the king of kings, born not to live but to die in order to save those who would crucify Him.

It is not that we have loved Him, but that He has loved us, as St. John writes so beautifully.  Let us never forget that in this Christmas season, when a Savior was born for us, that by virtue of our baptism we share in the Sonship of that child.  If children, then heirs.  Like Him, it is only for us to love, because He has loved us first.  This Truth will strengthen us and offer hope and light no matter where we find ourselves.   

A merry Christmas to all!

God love you,
Father V.
**********


When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state 
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate, 
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope, 
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope, 
With what I most enjoy contented least; 
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state, 
Like to the lark at break of day arising 
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.


No comments: